Can you lend a helping hand? In this lesson, students will learn how to politely act in different social situations. This lesson features audio of a conversation between two people at a reception desk. Students will also learn and practice using “can” and “could” and vocabulary relating to this topic. This lesson includes plenty of engaging discussion activities and worksheets that have been developed for adult and teenage learners.
- Good morning. Could I talk to Mrs. Tailor?
- Good morning. I’m sorry, but Mrs. Tailor is at the meeting at the moment. Can I help you?
- Well, I work for an IT company. I have a new offer for computer systems for Mrs. Tailor.
- I see… Could you wait 20 minutes? The meeting finishes at eleven.
- Of course, no problem at all. Can I wait here?
- Sure. Could you tell me your name, please?
- Yes, of course. It’s Don Watson from Computer Systems.
- Thank you. Could you spell your surname for me?
- No problem. It’s W-A-T-S-O-N.
- That’s great. Can I get you a cup of coffee?
- No, thank you. I don’t drink coffee. Could you make me a cup of tea, please?
- Of course.
- Thank you very much.